Multiple Visit Program 2022–23
We are not currently supporting the Multiple Visit Program at the MCA. We apologize for the inconvenience. We look forward to hosting student groups again in 2023!
About the Program
Take part in the MCA’s FREE Multiple Visit Program for Chicago Public School classroom teachers and their students!
The Multiple Visit Program brings the Common Core to life by offering teachers and students a chance to debate, discuss, and connect to works of art through return visits to the museum and provides professional development for teachers. Designed in alignment with Common Core English Language Arts Standards, this program uses contemporary art and ideas to sharpen students’ critical-thinking skills so that they engage in collaborative dialogue and inquiry.
Formal evaluation of our Multiple Visit Program demonstrates student success in:
- Deepening critical and creative thinking skills.
- Increasing collaborative discussion skills.
- Increasing content knowledge about elements of art, and awareness of the creative process.
- Three professional development sessions for teachers at the MCA (January 2023). Teachers earn CPDUs.
- Three artist-led field trips for students to the MCA (January–May 2023). Free admission and bus transportation provided. Tours last 120 minutes and are offered at 11 am, Tuesday through Friday.
- Classroom lesson plans that help students prepare for and reflect on their MCA visits.
- One final assessment workshop for teachers (May or June 2023).
Chicago Public School teachers who teach 4th, 5th, and 6th grade general education and Language Arts classrooms are invited to apply. Ten teachers will be selected by application to join this program.
Teachers are highly encouraged to apply in teaching teams of two. Teaching teams may submit one application, but must provide all parties’ contact information. Teaching teams may have two teachers who teach different subjects, but at least one of those teachers must lead a general education or Language Arts classroom.
Priority will be given to schools with “Strong,” “Developing,” and “Emerging” Creative Schools Certification.
Teachers who have participated in the program for more than two years are NOT eligible to apply.
WHAT YOUR COLLEAGUES HAVE TO SAY:
“I explored how to become a better teacher and improve teaching and learning practices. I became much more fluent and confident about teaching Common Core Speaking and Listening, and gained a sense of renewal and enthusiasm about the possibilities of teaching and learning via contemporary art.”
“My students really were excited to have a voice on the field trips. They were so thrilled every time we came to the museum because they felt like someone really cared about what they thought.”
We are not currently supporting the Multiple Visit Program at the MCA. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Support for the Multiple Visit Program at the MCA is generously provided by Discover, Dr. Scholl Foundation, and the Polk Bros. Foundation.